Gun safety is an essential concern if you own a gun or more. Gun safety should be taken in concern even before buying a gun. No one wants another person to get hold of his/her gun. That really won’t be a favorable occurrence. A gun in wrong hands can lead to chaos to the society.Also, for the safety of children in your house; gun safety should be taken seriously.
So, to keep your gun safe, here are some tools which you should use. These tools are very common but their importance should not be neglected.
Let’s say, you just bought a gun. What now? Of course, you are not going to place it under your bed or Almira with no safety. So, what should be your first step? The first thing that you should do is start looking for a gun safe. Don’t just buy a good for nothing safe. Buy a safe after making sure it meets the security standards and your standards.
A gun safe should meet certain criteria. Some important criteria which a good gun safe should meet are:-
- Security ratings, burglar, and UL ratings: – Make your purchase depending on security ratings. A burglar alarm is a feature that a good safe must have. Buy a safe with good ratings. UL rated safes are great and can withstand great pressure.
- Buy a big safe: – Always buy a bigger safe than you think you should buy. This is because generally, gun collection increases with time and also bigger safe more safety from burglary.
- Protection against flood, fire and other natural calamities: – Make sure your gun safe provides protection against natural calamities which your area is more prone too.
- Choose its location wisely: – Choose your gun safe ‘s location wisely and according to your standards and need.
- Choose wisely between types of safe locks: – There is generally three type to safe locks. All types of locks have their advantages and disadvantages. So choose a lock which meets your standards properly. Three types of locks include:-
★Electronic locks: – Electronic locks are easy to operate and provides the great number of code possibilities and hence ensures great safety but problem is that they are least reliable out of all three locks. They are easy to maintain.
★Combination dial locks- Combination dial is slower to operate but are very reliable and can withstand more damage. Also, they can withstand Electromagnetic impulse and fire which electronic locks cannot. Moreover, a mechanic is needed if something goes wrong with the lock.
★Key locks: – Key locks are the easiest to operate of all three. But they are least secure of all of them coz all you need is a key to access them. Also, a key getting rusty creates a problem many times.
Locks are great tools to restrict access to guns.Gun safes are more effective for gun safety than gun locks but gun locks are easier to operate and also portable. Also, you can use both gun safes and gun locks for better security if you are feeling insecure about it.
There are many types of gun locks available in the market manufactured by different companies. These gun locks are approved after they pass a number of tests regarding their agility and strength.
Chamber locks: – Chamber locks are used with almost every type of firearm. They are used for pistols, revolvers, handguns etc. They are widely available in every caliber and size.
Chamber locks use fake cartridges which block the chamber preventing live ammunition from loading. Some chamber locks also use steel rods. These steel rods are locked into the safety cartridges with the help of a key. The combination of steel rods and safety cartridges avoids ejection and loading of ammunition in the firearm.
Cable locks: – Cable locks are actually chamber locks. They can be used right through the magazine to prevent firing of a pistol or can be used through the barrel. In the case of a revolver , it can be used through the cylinder or barrel of the revolver to avoid access. They provide better security than trigger locks and hence are used widely.
A trigger lock uses small metal pieces or rods that slide through the gun’s trigger. These metal pieces come together and lock to prevent anyone from pulling the trigger. New models of trigger locks cover the whole area around the trigger and restrict access to the trigger. Trigger locks generally use key for unlocking. They are generally easiest and fastest to install and remove but are least secure. In fact, if a trigger-locked gun is loaded, it can easily be discharged by applying enough pressure.
Sometimes, you can even pull the trigger of the gun with a trigger lock on. So you should choose wisely while buying gun locks.